Oh, the immense pressure of doing the best holiday TV ad for the UK. Every retailer trying to outdo each other. Brands will spend months and millions of pounds to try to land that perfect spot that gets talked about at the dinner table. Sainsbury’s has released their new Christmas spot for 2018, and the major problem for Sainsbury’s is that John Lewis, the UK department store, launched a nearly identical ad two months ago.
Have a look at the two ads below, and you be the judge:
Sainsbury’s November 2018
John Lewis September 2018
- Both use classic school musicals. We are expecting these musicals to be relatively weak, with nervous parents watching, and yet we are dazzled with over-the-top performances, equal to that of a Broadway musical.
- Both are ooozzing with wholesome cuteness beyond belief. The plug was cute though. Also, so was the spaceship kid.
- Even the tagline is similar: John Lewis uses “When you’re part of it, you put your heart into it.” while Sainsbury’s uses “We give all we’ve got for the ones we love.”
The consumer comments online suggest they’ve taken note of the similarities.
The Sainsbury’s ad feels like a lightweight compared to what we have seen out of the UK the past decade. This John Lewis ad wasn’t even a Christmas ad. It was just made to announce the merger of John Lewis and Waitrose.
Currently, Sainsbury’s 2018 Christmas ad has 5,700 likes and over 2,000 dislikes. That’s not a good start.
The saddest part for Sainsbury’s is they did a spectacular Ad in 2014, that took viewers back to the beginning of the first world war. Given we have just commemorated the end of that war, it might have been an excellent time for the bookend version.
Here’s the Sainsbury’s spot from 2014
At this point, we still await the new holiday ad from John Lewis for 2018. Rumour has it that Elton John will be singing “RocketMan.”
If you are in marketing, you should explore my new book, Beloved Brands.
With Beloved Brands, you will learn everything you need to know so you can build a brand that your consumers will love.
You will learn how to think strategically, define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea, write a brand plan everyone can follow, inspire smart and creative marketing execution and analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review.
To order the e-book version or the paperback version from Amazon, click on this link: https://lnkd.in/eF-mYPe
If you use Kobo, you can find Beloved Brands in over 30 markets using this link: https://lnkd.in/g7SzEh4
And if you are in India, you can use this link to order: https://lnkd.in/gDA5Aiw
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
At Beloved Brands, our purpose is to help brands find a new pathway to growth. We believe that the more love your brand can generate with your most cherished consumers, the more power, growth, and profitability you will realize in the future.
We think the best solutions are likely inside you already, but struggle to come out. Our unique playbook tools are the backbone of our workshops. We bring our challenging voice to help you make decisions and refine every potential idea.
We start by defining a brand positioning statement, outlining the desired target, consumer benefits and support points the brand will stand behind. And then, we build a brand idea that is simple and unique enough to stand out in the clutter of the market, motivating enough to get consumers to engage, buy and build a loyal following with your brand.
We will help you write a strategic brand plan for the future, to get everyone in your organization to follow. It starts with an inspiring vision that pushes your team to imagine a brighter future. We use our strategic thinking tools to help you make strategic choices on where to allocate your brand’s limited resources.
Our brand playbook methodology will challenge you to unlock future growth for your brand
- Our deep-dive assessment process will give you the knowledge of the issues facing your brand, so you can build a smart plan to unleash future growth.
- Find a winning brand positioning statement that motivates consumers to buy, and gives you a competitive advantage to drive future growth.
- Create a brand idea to capture the minds and hearts of consumers, while inspiring and focusing your team to deliver greatness on the brand’s behalf.
- Build a brand plan to help you make smart focused decisions, so you can organize, steer, and inspire your team towards higher growth.
- Advise on advertising, to find creative that drives branded breakthrough and use a motivating messaging to set up long-term brand growth.
- Our brand training program will make your brand leaders smarter, so you have added confidence in their performance to drive brand growth.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
If you need our help, email me at email@example.com or call me at 416 885 3911
You have my personal promise to help you solve your brand building challenges. I will give you new thinking, so you can unlock future growth for your brand.