Arguably things today are moving faster than ever. With the advent of new media options such as social, digital and search media, the list of tactics is longer than ever. Opportunities come to brand leaders needed quick decisions and even faster execution. Brand Managers are running like crazy to get everything done. Quick phone calls with the agencies and emails to keep everything moving along. So many times I’m seeing teams spinning around in circles of execution and I ask to see the creative brief and the answer is quickly becoming “Oh we didn’t have time to do a creative brief”. You always need to take the time to write it down.
Elements of communication strategy
First off, I would hope that every brand has the discipline to do an advertising strategy that should answer the following six key questions.
- Who Do We want to sell to? (target)
- What are we selling? (benefit)
- Why should they believe us? (Reason to Believe)
- What Do We want the Advertising to do? (Strategy)
- What do Want people to do? (Response)
- What do we want people to feel? (Big Idea/Brand Soul)
- Where will you deliver the message? (Media Plan)
Once you have these seven questions answered you should be able to populate and come to a main creative brief. To read more about writing a full creative brief follow this link: How to Write an Effective Creative Brief
Back when we only did TV and a secondary medium it was easier. We’d spend months on a brief and months ago making the TV ads. The brief was approved everywhere, right up to the VP or President level. But now the problem is when you’re running around like a chicken with its head chopped off, you decide to wing it over the phone with no brief. It’s only a Facebook page, a digital display ad going down the side of the weather network or some twitter campaign Who needs a brief.
If I could recommend anything to do with communication: ALWAYS HAVE A BRIEF.
The mini creative brief
Focusing on the most important elements of the brief, you must have:
- Objective: What do we hope to accomplish, what part of the brand strategy will this program. Focus on only one objective.
- Target: Who is the intended target audience we want to move to take action against the objective? Keep it a very tight definition.
- Insight: What is the one thing we know about the consumer that will impact this program. For this mini brief, only put the most relevant insight to help frame the consumer.
- Desired Response: What do we want consumers to think, feel or do? Only pick one of these.
- Stimulus: What’s the most powerful thing you can say to get the response you want.
Going too fast sometimes takes too Long
If you choose to do it over the phone, you’re relying on the Account Manager to explain it to the creative team. Days later when they come back with the options, how would you remember what you wanted. If you have a well-written communications plan, this mini creative brief should take you anywhere from 30-60 minutes to write this. The mini creative brief will keep your own management team aligned to your intentions, as well as give a very focused ASK to the creative team. When you need to gain approval for the creative, you’ll be able to better sell it in with mini creative brief providing the context.
Pressed for time? Next time, try using the mini creative brief
To read more on creative brief, follow this presentation
To learn more about this type of thinking, you should explore my new book, Beloved Brands.
With Beloved Brands, you will learn everything you need to know so you can build a brand that your consumers will love.
You will learn how to think strategically, define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea, write a brand plan everyone can follow, inspire smart and creative marketing execution and analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review.
To order the e-book version or the paperback version from Amazon, click on this link: https://lnkd.in/eF-mYPe
If you use Kobo, you can find Beloved Brands in over 30 markets using this link: https://lnkd.in/g7SzEh4
And if you are in India, you can use this link to order: https://lnkd.in/gDA5Aiw
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
At Beloved Brands, our purpose is to help brands find a new pathway to growth. We believe that the more love your brand can generate with your most cherished consumers, the more power, growth, and profitability you will realize in the future.
We think the best solutions are likely inside you already, but struggle to come out. Our unique playbook tools are the backbone of our workshops. We bring our challenging voice to help you make decisions and refine every potential idea.
We start by defining a brand positioning statement, outlining the desired target, consumer benefits and support points the brand will stand behind. And then, we build a brand idea that is simple and unique enough to stand out in the clutter of the market, motivating enough to get consumers to engage, buy and build a loyal following with your brand.
We will help you write a strategic brand plan for the future, to get everyone in your organization to follow. It starts with an inspiring vision that pushes your team to imagine a brighter future. We use our strategic thinking tools to help you make strategic choices on where to allocate your brand’s limited resources.
Our brand playbook methodology will challenge you to unlock future growth for your brand
- Our deep-dive assessment process will give you the knowledge of the issues facing your brand, so you can build a smart plan to unleash future growth.
- Find a winning brand positioning statement that motivates consumers to buy, and gives you a competitive advantage to drive future growth.
- Create a brand idea to capture the minds and hearts of consumers, while inspiring and focusing your team to deliver greatness on the brand’s behalf.
- Build a brand plan to help you make smart focused decisions, so you can organize, steer, and inspire your team towards higher growth.
- Advise on advertising, to find creative that drives branded breakthrough and use a motivating messaging to set up long-term brand growth.
- Our brand training program will make your brand leaders smarter, so you have added confidence in their performance to drive brand growth.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
If you need our help, email me at email@example.com or call me at 416 885 3911
You have my personal promise to help you solve your brand building challenges. I will give you new thinking, so you can unlock future growth for your brand.
Founder and CMO, Beloved Brands Inc.