Having the brand strategy roadmap on one page can help align everyone that works on a brand. Here’s the one I recommend:
The Brand Strategy Roadmap combines our Big Idea Map where we show how the big idea lines up across the 5 consumer touch-points and the long-term Plan elements.
Big Idea Map
We have created 5 main consumer touch-points that will impact their decisions on whether to engage, buy, experience and become a fan. Our five consumer touch-points we use are:
- Promise: Brands need to be better, different or cheaper.
- Story: Your story should motivate consumers to think, feel or act, while beginning to own a reputation in the mind and hearts of consumers.
- Innovation: Fundamentally sound product, at the forefront of trends and technology to deliver on your promise.
- Purchase Moment: Moment of truth as consumers move through the purchase cycle. Map out how consumers use channels, messaging and processes to make the final decision.
- Consumer Experience: Turn product usage an experience that becomes a ritual and favorite part of their day.
To ensure a consistency in how consumers view your brand, whether that is the first touch-point or the most recent, all 5 touch-points should be aligned under the Big Idea.
Strategic Plan Elements
- Vision: What do you want to be in the next 5-10 years? Vision gives everyone on the brand a clear direction, it should be measurable (quantitative) and motivating (qualitative). And, it should push you so much that it scares you a little, but excites you a lot.
- Purpose: Why do you exist? Keep asking yourself why you do this, to find the personal motivation hidden. Your purpose can be a very powerful way to connect with both employees and consumers.
- Values: Core beliefs of the brand that shape the organization as to the standards, behaviors, expectations. The brand has to be able to stand up to and consistently deliver each value.
- Goals: What do you need to achieve? Specific measures of brand health and wealth, related to consumer/customer behavioral changes, metrics of key programs, performance targets or milestones on the pathway to the vision. It’s the brand scoreboard.
- Key Issues: What is getting the way from achieving your vision/goals? Deep analysis highlights what’s driving and holding brand back, as well as future risks and untapped opportunities. Issues are asked as a question to provide the problem to which strategies become the solution.
- Strategies: How can we get there? Strategies are the “How” you will win the market. Choices based on market opportunities, using consumers, competitors or situational. Strategies should have a pin-pointed focus providing a breakthrough on the pathway to the vision.
- Tactics: What do we need to do to execute the strategy? Framed completely by strategy, tactical choices deploy your limited resources against projects. This gives you the most efficient way to drive a high ROI.
Bringing the Brand Strategy and Big Idea together to build a Long Range Strategic Plan.
To learn more, here is our workshop we run on how to write brand plans.
House of Brands
When working with a house of brands, where you have multiple brand names under one corporate name (P&G, Kraft, General Mills and Johnson and Johnson) the brand plan would look different. The big differences are the teams are smaller and the culture of each team usually follows that of the corporate name.
Here’s a good example of a Brand Plan that would fit within the House of Brands and here is the related story on How to Write a Brand Plan
The value in the Brand Strategic Roadmap is to gain agreement, makes focused decisions and keeps everyone aligned
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
Beloved Brands is a brand strategy and marketing training firm that is focused on the future growth of your brand and your people.
It is our fundamental belief that the more loved your brand is by your most cherished consumers, the more powerful and profitable your brand will be. We also believe that better marketing people will lead to smarter strategy choices and tightly focused marketing execution that will higher growth for your brands.
With our workshops, we use our unique tools force you to think differently and help unleash new strategy solutions to build around. I believe the best solutions lay deep inside you already, but struggle to come out. In every discussion, I bring a challenging yet understanding voice to bring out the best in you and help you craft an amazing strategy.
We will help you find a unique and own-able Big Idea that will help you stand out from the clutter of today’s marketplace. The Big Idea must serve to motivate consumers to engage, buy and build a loyal connection with your brand. Equally, the Big Idea must work inside your organization, to inspire all employees who work behind the scenes to deliver happy experiences for consumers.
We will help build a brand plan everyone can follow. It starts with an inspiring vision to push your team. We then force strategy choices on where to allocate your limited resources. With our advice on brand execution, we can steer the brand towards brand love and brand growth.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
At Beloved Brands, we deliver brand training programs that make brand leaders smarter so they are able to drive added growth on your brands. We offer brand training on every subject in marketing, related to strategic thinking, analytics, brand planning, positioning, creative briefs, customer marketing and marketing execution.
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
If you need our help, email me at email@example.com or call me at 416 885 3911