Starbucks is one of the best consumer experience-led brands. While certain consumers believe it is a great coffee, in some blind taste tests, Starbucks coffee has finished middle of the pack. Starbucks builds everything around the consumer experience. The brand views itself as being in the “moments” business. The brand stresses the importance of the culture with its staff and uses service values to deliver incredible guest experiences. Employees wear their green aprons with pride.
The moment of escape
For consumers, Starbucks offers the perfect moment of escape between home and work. To spark pleasant moments, Starbucks offers a unique combination of Italian coffee names, European pastries, relaxed and friendly staff, comfortable leather seats, and indie music. Overall, Starbucks creates a warm atmosphere, all in support of a fabulous experience. The experience the brand creates makes the coffee taste great.
Starbucks had tremendous success in growing its brand in the 1980s and 1990s. By 2003, people viewed Starbucks as one of the most modern beloved brands in the marketplace. Starbucks had earned a very healthy position, so it began looking for new opportunities to grow beyond coffee. As Starbucks defined the brand as an “escape,” it naturally looked for other areas where consumers escaped.
Starbucks took their eye off the ball
In 2003, Starbucks created its own music recording company, won eight Grammys, then launched a movie, and started a partnership with William Morris to scout for music, books, and films. Starbucks even opened an “entertainment” office in Los Angeles.
Within five years, Starbucks had lost focus of who it was. These new businesses had become a significant distraction; Starbucks’ core coffee brand suffered dramatically. Without the inspired leadership on coffee, sales plummeted, and the stock price had fallen from $37 to $7.83. The company had to cut 18,000 jobs and close 977 stores. The Starbucks brand was in a complete free fall. Would it be yet another trendy brand to fade off into the sunset?
Starbucks desperately needed to refocus.
The company exited the entertainment business and rebuilt everything back to the coffee ritual. It closed each store location for an entire day to retrain every barista—a symbol of what is most important to consumer experience of the brand. Starbucks created sandwiches, snacks, and pastries around the coffee routine to gain more share of requirements and stretch the coffee routine into lunch and dinner. All these efforts were designed to rekindle the consumer experience.
The following five elements of strategic thinking allowed Starbucks to complete its turnaround plan.
1. Set a vision of what you want
Starbucks wished to become a cherished favorite moment of the day. The question for Starbucks was how to build smartly around the consumer experience to drive significant growth in same-store sales.
2. Invest resources in a strategic program
Starbucks needed to regain its strong bond with consumers, to refocus on the consumer experience and build the brand through its culture-led essence, supported by a phenomenal team of employees. Starbucks wanted to bring this culture to the forefront of the consumer experience.
3. Focus on an identified opportunity
In 2008, Starbucks refocused to shift the coffee ritual beyond mornings. It wanted to build an all-day gathering place. The company broadened the portfolio around coffee by adding desserts, snacks, and sandwiches. Starbucks saw an opportunity in its underutilized retail locations, which remained relatively empty after 11 a.m. The company wanted the broader portfolio to boost lunch and dinner sales, and earn a higher share of the consumer’s wallet and higher same-store sales.
4. Leverage a breakthrough market impact
Starbucks closed every store for a day to refocus on its service, then built a broader portfolio around coffee. The company successfully reconnected with most loyal Starbucks fans. It was able to turn the morning coffee routine into an all-day life ritual, allowing Starbucks to focus on becoming a consumer experience brand, and a gathering place to savor moments with friends and colleagues.
5. Performance result that pays back
No longer seen as a destination just for morning coffee, but rather an escape at any point in the day, Starbucks saw double-digit growth for five straight years. Meanwhile, the stock price increased 10-fold over that period.
The Starbucks Brand Plan
If you took the strategic thinking model and began to outline a brand plan for Starbucks, these would be the core elements:
- Vision: Build a cherished meeting place to gather as a favorite moment in consumers’ day.
- Goals: Increase same-store sales and earn a higher share of requirements among Starbucks loyalists.
- Key Issues:
1. How do we build an overall consumer experience beyond coffee?
2. How do we drive significant growth in same-store sales?
1. Rebuild the consumer experience by training all Starbucks baristas to emphasize how our people make the difference to bring brand lovers back to Starbucks.
2. Enhance the Starbucks experience at lunch with innovative sandwiches and snacks, to reinforce the quality difference at Starbucks to successfully enter the lunchtime market.
- Tactics: Focus staff on creating amazing consumer experiences. Retrain all baristas. Launch exotic, refreshing coffee choices, light lunch menu, increase dessert offerings. Create shareable experiences to motivate brand lovers to influence others.
To learn more about this type of thinking, you should explore my new book, Beloved Brands.
With Beloved Brands, you will learn everything you need to know so you can build a brand that your consumers will love.
You will learn how to think strategically, define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea, write a brand plan everyone can follow, inspire smart and creative marketing execution and analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review.
To order the e-book version or the paperback version from Amazon, click on this link: https://lnkd.in/eF-mYPe
If you use Kobo, you can find Beloved Brands in over 30 markets using this link: https://lnkd.in/g7SzEh4
And if you are in India, you can use this link to order: https://lnkd.in/gDA5Aiw
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
At Beloved Brands, our purpose is to help brands find a new pathway to growth. We believe that the more love your brand can generate with your most cherished consumers, the more power, growth, and profitability you will realize in the future.
We think the best solutions are likely inside you already, but struggle to come out. Our unique playbook tools are the backbone of our workshops. We bring our challenging voice to help you make decisions and refine every potential idea.
We start by defining a brand positioning statement, outlining the desired target, consumer benefits and support points the brand will stand behind. And then, we build a brand idea that is simple and unique enough to stand out in the clutter of the market, motivating enough to get consumers to engage, buy and build a loyal following with your brand.
We will help you write a strategic brand plan for the future, to get everyone in your organization to follow. It starts with an inspiring vision that pushes your team to imagine a brighter future. We use our strategic thinking tools to help you make strategic choices on where to allocate your brand’s limited resources.
Our brand playbook methodology will challenge you to unlock future growth for your brand
- Our deep-dive assessment process will give you the knowledge of the issues facing your brand, so you can build a smart plan to unleash future growth.
- We will find a winning brand positioning statement that motivates consumers to buy, and gives you a competitive advantage to drive future growth.
- We create a brand idea to capture the minds and hearts of consumers, while inspiring and focusing your team to deliver greatness on the brand’s behalf.
- We build a brand plan to help you make smart focused decisions, so you can organize, steer, and inspire your team towards higher growth.
- We advise on advertising, to find creative that drives branded breakthrough and use a motivating messaging to set up long-term brand growth.
- Our brand training program will make your brand leaders smarter, so you have added confidence in their performance to drive brand growth.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
If you need our help, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 416 885 3911
You have my personal promise to help you solve your brand building challenges. I will give you new thinking, so you can unlock future growth for your brand.
Founder and CMO, Beloved Brands Inc.