Your personal profile can be a lead tool for telling your brand story, whether on your LinkedIn profile, on your personal blog, or at any industry events. You can work on a long and shorter version of the bio.
Everyone should have a personal profile to tell their brand story
- First, start with your desired reputation by thinking of a personal vision statement for how you wish to be viewed five or ten years from now.
- Next, talk about the difference you make, whether it is in your job or business you are leading.
- Then, outline your background qualifications, including employment history, notable awards, or education degrees.
- Layer in other unique experiences, publications, event participation, or charity involvement.
- Finally, as we would with a brand, provide your stated promise declaration, which is your purpose behind your vision. Using your promise is a compelling way to end your profile.
Four Questions to define your personal brand
- First, how do you define yourself, by where in the marketplace you see yourself having the biggest impact?
- Next, what is the primary benefit you provide your target, whether they are potential prospects?
- Then, what is the secondary benefit you provide your target, whether they are potential prospects?
- Finally, what is the expected result you deliver, that matches up to your target’s potential goals?
This model is a great way to summarize yourself, based on what you have done over the last few years. Make sure your definitions are more forward-looking with an aspiration for what you want to be, not stuck in what you have been. Once you get that done, you can then begin to piece it all together and see what your own 7-second pitch might start to look like. Keep tightening that pitch until it flows.
Use your personal brand idea to establish consistency across every media choice you use
In today’s cluttered media world, use your personal brand idea to help organize all types of marketing communication efforts, including your brand story, sales material, networking, creating your own home page or blog, managing the search of yourself, portraying your personal brand through social media, and looking to establish yourself through any influence marketing.
When telling your brand story, you now have many media options available, including white papers, blog posts, LinkedIn updates, networking meetings, or delivering presentations at industry events. Tell the same brand story, with consistent layers of brand messaging. There is nothing wrong with repetition, primarily if you use various media options to make it more engaging.
Our latest playbook for 2021
Brand Career is the playbook for the ambitious marketer
I wrote the Brand Career playbook to help my fellow brand management professionals reach the full potential of their marketing career. Most importantly, we built our Brand Career playbook around the marketing skills, leadership behaviors, and on-the-job experiences that you need to collect throughout your marketing career.
The marketing skills we focus on include strategic thinking, brand positioning, brand plans, marketing execution, and marketing analytics. From there, we will lay out a game plan of what it takes to move up from an entry-level role up to the VP/CMO level. To help you in your career, we will show you how to build and use your personal brand.
You can find our Brand Career playbook on Amazon, Apple Books, or Rakuten Kobo
Beloved Brands is the playbook to keep at your fingertips
Our readers tell us they reach for Beloved Brands a few times each week as a reference toolkit to help them with the day-to-day management of their brand.
- To start, we will challenge you with questions that get you to think differently about your brand strategy.
- Then, we take you through our process for defining your brand positioning. We will open your mind to new possibilities for how you see you can differentiate your brand. And, we use examples of brand positioning statements to bring the learning to life.
- Next, we will show you how to write a brand plan that everyone can follow. Make sure all stakeholders know precisely how they can contribute to your brand’s success.
- Moreover, we will show you how to run the creative execution process, show you how to write an inspiring brief, and make decisions to find both smart and breakthrough work.
- Finally, you will learn new methods to analyze the performance of your brand with a deep-dive business review.
Above all, over 90% of our Amazon reviews receive five-star ratings, and Beloved Brands has spent numerous weeks as a #1 bestseller in brand management.