Here are twenty simple messages to provoke and challenge your thinking as a brand manager.
- Consumer Insight comes to life when it’s told in such a captivating way that makes people stop and say “hmm, I thought I was the only one who felt like that.:
- Can you explain your brand (or your personal brand) in 7 seconds, 2 minutes and 30 minutes? You should be able to organize your thinking.
- Strategic Thinkers see “what if” questions before they see solutions. They map out a range of decision trees that intersect and connect by imagining how events will play out. Moreover, they reflect and plan before they act. They are thinkers and planning who can see connections. Instinctual Thinkers see answers before questions. They get to answers quickly, and get frustrated in delays. They believe doing something is better than doing nothing at all. Instinctual thinkers opt for action over thinking. They are impulsive and doers who see tasks. They get frustrated by strategic thinkers.
- Learn to change your brain speeds, knowing when to go slow and when to go fast. Think slowly with strategy. Think quickly with instincts.
- The role of BRAND is to create a bond, power, and profit, beyond what the product itself could achieve. In fact, we only have brands, if we think we can make more money from the brand than just the product alone. The really is no other reason.
- The more loved a brand is by consumers, the more, the more powerful and profitable that brand can be.
- Halfway between the exactness of Science and the unknown of Art lies the power of an IDEA that can bring them together”
- The best brands are either different, better or cheaper. Or else, not around for very long. Do you know what your brand is?
- Consumers don’t care what you do until you care what they want. Instead of just yelling what you do, put yourself in the consumers’ shoes and ask yourself “so what do I get?” and then ask “so how does that make me feel?” This turns product features into consumer benefits, both functional and emotional.
- The power of three helps provide focus. If your brand only has 3 strategies and each strategy only has 3 tactics, then you should be able to do an amazing job on all 9. Much better than 5 strategies times 5 tactics and 25 things. I would bet that my 9 would beat your 25 any day.
- The better your people, the better the work, the better the business results. So then, are you doing enough to make your people better? Invest in training your people.
- Ask your people at every stage “Do you love it?” and watch their eyes to see if they tell the truth. Because, if you don’t love the work, how do you expect your consumer to love your brand?
- A beloved brand uses the love consumers have for the brand to replicate the positional power of a Monopoly. And from that power, the Beloved Brand drives stronger growth and higher profits.
- Smart media plans start with understanding where the customer is, not where the media is.
- Analytical stories get decision-makers to “what do you think” stage Analysis turns fact into insight and data breaks form the story that sets up strategic choices.
- If you knew that being a better client would get you better advertising, do you think you’d be able to show up better?
- If you aren’t talented enough to come up with an ad in the first place, then why are you now talented enough to do something even harder: change the ad. Instead of telling the creative team your changes, I’d rather you give the creative team your problem with the ad, and let them figure out it rather than your solution for the ad and let them feel demoralized.
- Creative advertising people are problem solvers, not blue sky thinkers. So give them a problem, not a blank page. They are “in the box” thinkers not “out of the” box thinkers. Use your brief to put them in a box and your creative direction to put them in a new box.
- The classic flaw of Brand Plans is having both penetration and Usage frequency. Penetration Strategy gets someone with very little experience with your brand to likely consider dropping their current brand to try you once and see if they like it. Usage Frequency Strategy gets someone who knows your brand to change their behavior in relation to your brand, either changing their current life routine or substituting your brand into a higher share of the occasions. Trying to do both at the same time will destroy your plan.
- We control more than we think we do. But just like in sports, the most competitive weapon we have is the creation of time and space. The most competitive brands act quickly, before others do and create a space around themselves that they own, through reputation, and are free from attack.
You will find this type of thinking in my book, Beloved Brands.
I wrote my book, Beloved Brands, as the playbook for how to build a brand your consumers will love.
Beloved Brands has everything you need to run your brand. You will learn how to think strategically, define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea, write a marketing plan everyone can follow, inspire smart and creative marketing execution and analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review.
- How to think strategically
- Write a brand positioning statement
- Come up with a brand idea
- Write a brand plan everyone can follow
- Write an inspiring creative brief
- Make decisions on marketing execution
- Conduct a deep-dive business review
- Learn finance 101 for marketers
Available on Amazon, Apple Books or Kobo
We have the paperback and e-book version on Amazon. Click here to order: https://lnkd.in/eF-mYPe
We are also on Apple Books, which you can click here to order: https://lnkd.in/e6UFisF
If you use Kobo, you can find Beloved Brands in over 30 markets using this link: https://lnkd.in/g7SzEh4
At Beloved Brands, we help build brands that consumers love and we make brand leaders smarter.
🎈Help create a brand positioning statement that motivates consumers to buy, and gives your brand an ownable competitive advantage.
🎈 Build a marketing plan that forces smart focused decisions to help organize, steer, and inspire your team towards higher growth
🎈Align your marketing execution behind a brand idea that tightens our bond with consumers and moves them through their buying journey
🎈Use a deep-dive 360-degree assessment of your brand’s performance to trigger richer thinking before you write your brand plan
🎈Our brand training program will help realize the full potential of your brand leaders, so they are ready to grow your brand.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
You have my personal promise to help you solve your brand building challenges. Above all, I will give you new thinking, so you can unlock future growth for your brand.
If you need our help, email me at email@example.com or call me at 416 885 3911