At Beloved Brands, we use a 360-degree approach to marketing, which can highlight the skills you need to be successful in running your brand. You must be know how to analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review. Brand Leaders have to be able to think strategically to sort through issues and make decisions on direction. You must know how to define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea. Marketers need to know how to write a brand plan that everyone can follow. And, marketers should learn the skills needed to inspire smart and creative marketing execution that builds a brand that consumers will love.
Let’s use this 360-degree model to highlight the skills you need for each of the five areas. Below, I have broken down each of the five areas into 4 unique marketing skills. This will leave you with 20 overall marketing skills you need to be great.
1. Analyze performance
Too few marketers take the time to dig into the data analytics. There is no value in having access to data if you are not using it to discover meaningful insights. The best brand leaders can tell strategic stories through analytics. You need to know how to create a deep-dive business review, looking at the marketplace, consumers, competitors, channels, and brand. And, you need to be able to to turn your analysis into a written report or a presentation for management. You need to know brand finance, to know every financial formula you need to run your brand.
- Understand all the potential sources of brand data you can use to evaluate the situation. These include market share, consumption, shipment data, brand funnel, advertising tracking, market research studies, and financial statements.
- Know how to dig deep into data, using draws comparisons and development indexes to find the data breaks. Draw out insights and conclusions that you can turn into a story to help your team debate and make decisions.
- Able to lead a best-in-class 360-degree deep-dive business review for the brand that looks at the marketplace, consumers, channels, competitors and the brand results to give a holistic view of the brand’s performance.
- Once you have all your findings, you need to be able to write analytical stories that include performance reports and key issues presentations. Then, you need to be able to outline the strategic implications of the brand’s current situation.
2. Think Strategically
Too many marketers are so busy that they do not even have time to think. The best brand leaders do the necessary critical strategic thinking to find ways to win in the market. Strategic thinking is an essential foundation, forcing marketers to ask big questions that challenge and focus brand decisions.
There are four ways to enhance your strategic thinking, using the brand’s core strength finder, consumer strategy, competitive strategy and situational strategy. As you frame your strategies, you should learn to think and then talk in a method that lays out the vision for your brand, focuses your limited resources on breakthrough points, takes advantage of opportunities you see in the market, finds early wins to leverage to give your brand a positional power to drive growth and profits for your brand.
- Ask the right interrupting and challenging questions to help slow your brain down to a reflection speed. Make sure you understand the issues surrounding the brand before you reach for solutions
- Take a 360-degree strategic view by looking at your brand’s core strength, how consumers engage, the stance your competitors are taking, and the current business situation you face
- Able to lead a well-thought strategic debate across the organization. Ensure sales, operations, product development and senior leaders have their say.
- Make smart strategic decisions that map out a vision, focuses the brands limited resources, takes advantage of an opportunity, gains an early win that can leveraged to drive added power or incremental profits.
3. Define the brand
Too many marketers are trying to be everything to anyone. This strategy is the usual recipe for becoming nothing to everyone. The best brand leaders target a specific motivated consumer audience and then define their brand around a brand idea that is interesting, simple, unique, motivating and ownable.
You have to know the fundamental ways for how to write a winning brand positioning statement with four essential elements: target market, competitive set, main benefit and reason to believe (RTB). Learn how to build a brand idea that leads every touchpoint of your brand, including the brand promise, brand story, innovation, purchase moment and experience. And finally, you have to know the tools for how to write a winning brand concept and brand story.
- Defines your ideal consumer target. Build out consumer profiles framed with need states, consumer insights, enemies and the desired response.
- Take a consumer-centric mindset to turn brand features (what you do) into functional benefits (what consumers get) and emotional benefits (how it makes them feel)
- Find a winning brand positioning statement that is own-able for your brand and motivates consumers to build a tighter bond with the brand.
- Develop a brand idea that is interesting, simple, unique, inspiring, motivating and ownable. You must be able to stretch that brand idea across every consumer touchpoint, including the brand promise, story, innovation, purchase moment and consumer experience.
4. Create Brand Plans
Too many marketers focus on a short-term to-do list, not a long-term plan. The best brand leaders write brand plans everyone in the organization can follow with ease, including senior management, sales, R&D, agencies and operational teams. You have to know how to write each element of the brand plan, including the brand vision, purpose, values, goals, key Issues, strategies, and tactics. You must be able to build execution plans including a brand communications plan, innovation plan, and in-store plan.
- Lead the development of all elements of a smart brand plan; vision, purpose, goals, issues, strategies, tactics.
- Know how to turn strategic thinking into smart strategic objective statements that can stand as the foundation of the brand plan
- Able to use the brand plan presentation to convince senior management to follow the issues and strategies you lay out, and garner the necessary support across the organization.
- Develops smart execution plans that deliver against the brand strategies, and steer each execution team to stay on strategy.
5. Inspire creative execution
Too many marketers are becoming task-masters and stepping over the line into execution. The best brand leaders need to inspire experts to produce smart and creative execution. You need tools and techniques for judging and making decisions on creative advertising from your agency. For judging execution, I use the ABC’s tool, believing the best executions must drive Attention (A), Brand link (B), Communication (C) and Stickiness (S). I also have a checklist for you to use when judging executions. One crucial skill is being able to give direction to your agency to inspire and challenge great execution.
- Write strategic, focused and thorough creative briefs that will inspire great work from those experts who will execute on your brand’s behalf.
- Capable of leading all marketing projects whether they are on brand communication, innovation, selling or experience.
- Able to inspire greatness from experts at agencies or throughout the organization to offer their greatest work on your brand.
- Makes smart marketing execution decisions that will help tighten the bond with consumers, put the brand into a more powerful position and drive long-term success that matches up tot he strategy.
I believe you need a playbook that covers each of these skills. Here’s the skills you need to be able to bring out when needed in your role.
Taking this a step further, use our assessment tool to highlight your own marketing skill gaps. Once you identify these skill gaps, use our book or our brand training programs to close those gaps.
Here is a presentation that can help you manage your career in Brand Management.
To learn more about this type of thinking, you should explore my new book, Beloved Brands.
With Beloved Brands, you will learn everything you need to know so you can build a brand that your consumers will love.
You will learn how to think strategically, define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea, write a brand plan everyone can follow, inspire smart and creative marketing execution and analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review.
To order the e-book version or the paperback version from Amazon, click on this link: https://lnkd.in/eF-mYPe
If you use Kobo, you can find Beloved Brands in over 30 markets using this link: https://lnkd.in/g7SzEh4
And if you are in India, you can use this link to order: https://lnkd.in/gDA5Aiw
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
At Beloved Brands, our purpose is to help brands find a new pathway to growth. We believe that the more love your brand can generate with your most cherished consumers, the more power, growth, and profitability you will realize in the future.
We think the best solutions are likely inside you already, but struggle to come out. Our unique playbook tools are the backbone of our workshops. We bring our challenging voice to help you make decisions and refine every potential idea.
We start by defining a brand positioning statement, outlining the desired target, consumer benefits and support points the brand will stand behind. And then, we build a brand idea that is simple and unique enough to stand out in the clutter of the market, motivating enough to get consumers to engage, buy and build a loyal following with your brand.
We will help you write a strategic brand plan for the future, to get everyone in your organization to follow. It starts with an inspiring vision that pushes your team to imagine a brighter future. We use our strategic thinking tools to help you make strategic choices on where to allocate your brand’s limited resources.
Our brand playbook methodology will challenge you to unlock future growth for your brand
- Our deep-dive assessment process will give you the knowledge of the issues facing your brand, so you can build a smart plan to unleash future growth.
- Find a winning brand positioning statement that motivates consumers to buy, and gives you a competitive advantage to drive future growth.
- Create a brand idea to capture the minds and hearts of consumers, while inspiring and focusing your team to deliver greatness on the brand’s behalf.
- Build a brand plan to help you make smart focused decisions, so you can organize, steer, and inspire your team towards higher growth.
- Advise on advertising, to find creative that drives branded breakthrough and use a motivating messaging to set up long-term brand growth.
- Our brand training program will make your brand leaders smarter, so you have added confidence in their performance to drive brand growth.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
If you need our help, email me at email@example.com or call me at 416 885 3911
You have my personal promise to help you solve your brand building challenges. I will give you new thinking, so you can unlock future growth for your brand.
Founder and CMO, Beloved Brands Inc.