There is a secret to finding the magic in the Marketing Execution of your brand.
All of our work is done through other people. Our greatness as a Brand Leader has to come from the experts we engage, so they will be inspired to reach for their own greatness and apply it on our brand. Brand Leaders need to take a step back and let the creativity of execution unfold. I always say that is okay to know exactly what you want, but you should never know until the moment you see it. As the client, I like to think of marketing execution like the perfect gift that you never thought to buy yourself. It is a unique skill to be able to inspire, challenge, question, direct and decide, without any expertise at all.
I have come to believe that there are some Marketers who are great at execution and many more who appear to be doomed for failure. One major separation in ok to great is the willingness to learn along the way. No one is great on their first campaign–in fact most of us suck the first time. However, being a good client takes experience, practice, leadership and a willingness to adjust. You can learn how to be a good client. One of the biggest things to learn is that your role is crucial to the process. An OK agency can do great work on a great client. But a great agency will fail with a bad client. The client actually matters the most. My challenge to all marketers is this simple phrase: If you knew that being a better client would make your execution better, could you actually show up better? Would you show up better?
Here are the 8 little secrets for getting better Marketing Execution, that I have learned over my 20 years of Marketing.
- Determine if the strategy can be executed. Develop a testable brand concept with with rational and emotional benefits, plus support points that you know are actually motivating. To read more on doing a brand concept click below:https://beloved-brands.com/2016/05/11/brand-concept-2/
- Tighten your brief as much as you can. Narrow the target and add engaging insights that tell their story. Focus on the desired consumer response before deciding what your brand should say. Focus on one benefit and one message.
- Make it personal. Meet the creative team before the first creative meeting to connect, align them with your vision and inspire them to push for great work.
- Lower the pressure. Hold casual tissue sessions to narrow solutions before going to scripts.
- Stay big picture at creative meetings. Avoid getting into little details. Do that after the meeting. When giving direction, avoid giving your own solutions and but rather try to create a “new box” for the creative team to figure out the solutions.
- Take creative risks. Build your career by being the brand that will stand out by being different..
- Manage your boss at every stage. Early on, sell them, on your vision what you want. Then be willing to fight for great work at every step of the process.
- Try to be one of your agency’s favorite clients. Be the client that they “want to” work on your brand instead of being the one they “have to” work on your business. It really matters.
How we engage our experts can either inspire greatness or crush the spirit of creativity. Experts would prefer to be pushed than held back. The last thing experts want is to be asked for their expertise and then told exactly what to do. There is a fine line between rolling up the sleeves to work alongside the experts and pushing the experts out of the way. It is time to step back and assume your true role as the Brand Leader.
To read more about Marketing Execution, here is the presentation from our training workshop that with run for Brand Leaders.
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
At Beloved Brands, we promise that we will make your brand stronger and your brand leaders smarter. We can help you come up with your brand’s Brand Positioning, Big Idea and Brand Concept. We also can help create Brand Plans that everyone in your organization can follow and helps to focus your Marketing Execution. We provide a new way to look at Brand Management, that uses a provocative approach to align your brand to the sound fundamentals of brand management. We will make your team of Brand Leaders smarter so they can produce exceptional work that drives stronger brand results. We offer brand training on every subject in marketing, related to strategic thinking, analytics, brand planning, positioning, creative briefs, customer marketing and marketing execution.
Beloved Brands Training program
At Beloved Brands, we promise to make your team of BRAND LEADERS smarter, so they produce smarter work that drives stronger brand results.
- How to think strategically: Strategic thinkers see “what if” questions before seeing solutions, mapping out a range of decision trees that intersect and connect by imagining how events will play out.
- Write smarter Brand Plans: A good Brand Plan provides a road map for everyone in the organization to follow: sales, R&D, agencies, senior leaders, even the Brand Leader who writes the plan.
- Create winning Brand Positioning Statements: The brand positioning statement sets up the brand’s promise to the consumer, impacting both external communication (advertising, PR or in-store) as well as internally with employees who deliver that promise.
- Write smarter Creative Briefs: The brief helps focus the strategy so that all agencies can take key elements of the brand plan positioning to and express the brand promise through communication.
- Be smarter at Brand Analytics: Before you dive into strategy, you have to dive into the brand’s performance metrics and look at every part of the business—category, consumers, competitors, channels and brand.
- Get better Marketing Execution: Brand Leaders rely on agencies to execute. They need to know how to judge the work effectively to ensure they are making the best decisions on how to tell the story of the brand and express the brand’s promise.
- How to build Media Plans: Workshop for brand leaders to help them make strategic decisions on media. We look at media as an investment, media as a strategy and the various media options—both traditional and on-line.
- Winning the Purchase Moment: Brand Leaders need to know how to move consumers on the path to purchase, by gaining entry into their consumers mind, help them test and decide and then experience so they buy again and become a brand fan.
We will make your team of Brand Leaders smarter so they can produce exceptional work that drives stronger brand results. We offer brand training on every subject in marketing, related to strategic thinking, analytics, brand planning, positioning, creative briefs, customer marketing and marketing execution.
To contact us, email us at email@example.com or call us at 416-885-3911. You can also find us on Twitter @belovedbrands.