It amazes me how few people understand what a marketer really does. Even those who work beside us, who might work in sales or at our agency. Plenty of times, I have stopped them and asked, “do you know what we do?” and their answer kinda shocked me. Wait, it scared me. The ideal brand leader has to be a well-rounded generalist, knowing enough about everything they come in contact with, but never an expert.
Marketers need to know how to think, define, plan, execute and analyze with the best of them. Best of all, while the brand leaders don’t really know how to do anything, they are looked upon to make every decision. No one else at the table wants to or can decide.
Everything you must know how to do
How to win with smart strategic thinking
Challenge yourself to think strategically, to prompt you to ask the right questions before you reach for solutions. Our holistic look at strategy pushes you to assess your brand’s core strength, the relationship with consumers, competitive stance you take, and business situation. You need to be capable of leading a well-thought strategic discussion across your organization or winning any strategic argument with your management team. Learn to apply your vision, to focus your resources on identified opportunities that create a market impact you can transform into a performance result for your brand.
How to define a winning brand positioning
Start off by understanding how to define and focus on an ideal consumer target profile, framed with need states, consumer insights and the consumer enemies. Take a consumer centric approach to turn brand features into functional and emotional benefits. Use our innovation benefit cheat sheets to make decisions. Learn how to find a winning brand positioning space that is own-able and motivating to consumers. Develop a brand idea that can focus every everyone who works on your brand. You will learn to write brand concepts, brand stories, and a credo.
How to build a brand plan everyone can follow
We teach the best-in-class methods for coming up with all elements of a smart brand plan including the vision, purpose, goals, issues, strategies, and tactics. You need to know how to turn strategic thinking into smart strategic objective statements for the brand plan. With our training program, you will walk away with brand plan templates that will help you build a brand plan presentation you can use for your senior management and across organization. We show how to develop smart execution plans that delivers against the brand strategies, including a brand communications plan, innovation plan and sales plans
How to inspire creative marketing execution
You need to know how to write strategic, focused and thorough creative briefs that will create great work from experts. You need to be able to run the project management of the process so you will be able to lead all marketing execution projects on brand communication, innovation, selling or experience. You need to learn to inspire greatness from teams of experts at execution agencies or throughout your organization. Engage your instincts to judge marketing execution and make smart marketing execution decisions that will tighten the bond with consumers.
How to use analytics to uncover brand issues
You have to understand all sources of brand data, including market share, brand funnel, consumption, tracking results, and financials. Challenge yourself on the principles of analytics so you dig deep into data, draws comparisons and builds a story toward the business conclusion. You need to be able to lead a best-in-class deep-dive business review that looks at the marketplace, consumers, channel, competitors and the brand. We provide templates for the deep-dive business review, and monthly performance reports that will help trigger new key issues and strategic thinking.
Beyond the MBA is the virtual brand management training designed for the real world
You can click on the arrow above to view a quick video outlining our Beyond the MBA training programs
Our playbooks will show you new ways for how to think, define, plan, execute and analyze your brand
- You will find new strategic thinking models and examples for each of the four strategic thinking methods, looking at core strength, competitive, consumer, and situational strategies.
- To define the brand, I provide a tool for writing a brand positioning statement as well as a consumer profile and a consumer benefits ladder. I have created lists of potential functional and emotional benefits to kickstart your thinking on brand positioning. We show a step-by-step process to come up with your brand idea and bring it all together with a tool for writing the ideal brand concept.
- For brand plans, I provide formats for a long-range brand strategy roadmap and the annual brand plan with definitions for each planning element. From there, I show how to build a brand execution plan that includes the marketing communications plan, innovation process, and sales plan.
- To grow your brand, I show how to make smart decisions on marketing execution with chapters on how to write a creative brief, how to make decisions on creative advertising and how to lead the media choices.
- When it comes time for analyzing the performance of your brand, I provide all the analytical tools you need to lead a deep-dive business review, looking at the marketplace, consumer, channels, competitors and the brand.
You will learn everything you need to know so you can run your brand and be successful in your marketing career.
You can find Beloved Brands and B2B Brands on Amazon, Rakuten Kobo or Apple Books
Click on any of the icons above to go directly to the page where you can buy our books.