The best brand lesson I can give is to stop talking about yourself, and start listening to your consumer and then talk about them. Instead of saying what you do, say what they get or how they will feel.
Marketers should be fixated on your consumer, not your brand.
I always ask Marketers: “Do you represent your brand to your consumer or do you represent your consumer to the brand?” Yes, I get stunned looks of confusion when I ask that. But it’s an important question as to your mindset of how you do your job. My challenge to you is to start thinking about your consumer and be their representative of your brand. The work gets better. You will see clearer paths to growth and start to create a brand that consumers love rather than just likes. When this happens, sales go up and the P&L spits out higher profitability. The more loved the brand, the more powerful position it occupies and the more profit it can generate from that source of power.
The Consumer Benefits Ladder
The consumer benefits ladder helps turn your brand’s features into consumer benefits. You should stop talking about what your brand does and start talking about what your consumer gets. The four steps to building a consumer benefits ladder:
- Leverage all available research to define your ideal consumer target profile with need states, consumer insights, and the consumer enemy.
- Brainstorm all possible brand features. Focus on those features you believe give your brand a competitive advantage.
- Move up to the functional benefits by putting yourself in the shoes of the consumer. For each feature on your list, ask, “So, what do I get from that?” Challenge yourself to come up with better benefits by asking the question up until you move into a richer zone.
- Then move up to the emotional benefits. Look at each functional benefit and ask, “So, how does that make me feel?” As you did in step 3, keep asking the question until you see a more in-depth emotional space you can win with and own.
People buy benefits.
If you are a headache medicine that is fast, tell your consumer they can on with their day. And, if you are a mouthwash that is strong, talk about how you make your consumer’s mouth healthier. If you are in financial services, leave them feeling more knowledgeable about where their money goes, or in control over their financial health.
Turn your feature into a functional benefit by getting in the shoes of your consumer and ask “so what do I get?” Turn your functional benefit into an emotion benefit by asking “so how does that make me feel?”
Have you ever heard of a bad date “where all he did was talk about himself?” The same thing for a brand. The trick is to genuinely show you care. Show interest. Listen. Make them feel better about themselves.
Stop talking about you. Start talking about them.
The best way to work the Consumer Benefits Ladder is to hold a brainstorming session with everyone who works on the brand so you can:
- Leverage all the available research to brief the team, helping define the consumer target and get all the consumer insights and need states out.
- List out all the features that your brand offers, and the brand assets it brings to the table. Make sure that these features are competitive advantages.
- Find the rational benefit by putting yourself in the shoes of the consumer and seeing the brand features from their eyes: start asking yourself over and over “so if I’m the consumer, what do I get from that?”. Ask up to 5 times and push the answers into a richer zone.
- Then find the emotional benefit by asking “so how does that make me feel?” As you did above, keep asking, and you’ll begin to see a deeper emotional space you can play in and own.
Put all the information of the group brainstorm into a Consumer Benefits Ladder Worksheet.
Read more about brand positioning by clicking on this link below:
To learn more about this type of thinking, you should explore my new book, Beloved Brands.
With Beloved Brands, you will learn everything you need to know so you can build a brand that your consumers will love.
You will learn how to think strategically, define your brand with a positioning statement and a brand idea, write a brand plan everyone can follow, inspire smart and creative marketing execution and analyze the performance of your brand through a deep-dive business review.
To order the e-book version or the paperback version from Amazon, click on this link: https://lnkd.in/eF-mYPe
If you use Kobo, you can find Beloved Brands in over 30 markets using this link: https://lnkd.in/g7SzEh4
And if you are in India, you can use this link to order: https://lnkd.in/gDA5Aiw
Beloved Brands: Who are we?
At Beloved Brands, our purpose is to help brands find a new pathway to growth. We believe that the more love your brand can generate with your most cherished consumers, the more power, growth, and profitability you will realize in the future.
We think the best solutions are likely inside you already, but struggle to come out. Our unique playbook tools are the backbone of our workshops. We bring our challenging voice to help you make decisions and refine every potential idea.
We start by defining a brand positioning statement, outlining the desired target, consumer benefits and support points the brand will stand behind. And then, we build a brand idea that is simple and unique enough to stand out in the clutter of the market, motivating enough to get consumers to engage, buy and build a loyal following with your brand.
We will help you write a strategic brand plan for the future, to get everyone in your organization to follow. It starts with an inspiring vision that pushes your team to imagine a brighter future. We use our strategic thinking tools to help you make strategic choices on where to allocate your brand’s limited resources.
Our brand playbook methodology will challenge you to unlock future growth for your brand
- Our deep-dive assessment process will give you the knowledge of the issues facing your brand, so you can build a smart plan to unleash future growth.
- Find a winning brand positioning statement that motivates consumers to buy, and gives you a competitive advantage to drive future growth.
- Create a brand idea to capture the minds and hearts of consumers, while inspiring and focusing your team to deliver greatness on the brand’s behalf.
- Build a brand plan to help you make smart focused decisions, so you can organize, steer, and inspire your team towards higher growth.
- Advise on advertising, to find creative that drives branded breakthrough and use a motivating messaging to set up long-term brand growth.
- Our brand training program will make your brand leaders smarter, so you have added confidence in their performance to drive brand growth.
To learn more about our coaching, click on this link: Beloved Brands Strategic Coaching
To learn more about our training programs, click on this link: Beloved Brands Training
If you need our help, email me at email@example.com or call me at 416 885 3911
You have my personal promise to help you solve your brand building challenges. I will give you new thinking, so you can unlock future growth for your brand.
Founder and CMO, Beloved Brands Inc.